Our green story.
At Bloc Hotels, we believe sustainability creates value for our business, guests, and the wider community. We are on an eco-friendly journey and our Green Tourism membership highlights our continuing commitment to reduce waste, conserve resources, and minimise our environmental impact.
Reducing unnecessary waste brings us one step closer to our zero-waste goal.
We enthusiastically recycle plastics, paper, cardboard, batteries, and printer cartridges. We embrace paperless operations through digital receipts and documents, creating a near paperless working environment.
Our staff areas and guest rooms illustrate our commitment to reuse and recycling. From reusable mugs and bottles provided to staff, which eliminates single-use plastics from our culture, to recyclable cups and stirrers at our public coffee stations help us to send less to the landfill.
When sourcing products and services, we seek partners who share our eco-values. We also take pride in supporting local and fair-trade suppliers who align with our sustainability mission.
Our Green Apple Award & Footprint Award-winning linen service exemplifies the green supply chain we admire, with our linen collected and delivered in hybrid vehicles. While our complimentary shampoos and body washes are both refillable and produced here in the UK.
Our bespoke team uniforms are sustainably manufactured in the UK and Europe, created using durable and long-lasting materials, our iconic gold button pins are designed and manufactured in Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter, just a short walk from Bloc Birmingham.
Saving energy and reducing water consumption is a top priority.
100% of our guest rooms feature energy-efficient triple-glazed windows to reduce consumption, while our in-room air conditioning units are triggered to power down when unoccupied, optimising resources. To further improve energy efficiency, we have heavily invested in a new, state-of-the-art air conditioning system, that is due to be installed at Bloc Gatwick in December 2023.
We also offer opt-out servicing programmes, empowering guests to conserve with us, whereby guests can request not to change towels or sheets.
LED lighting casts a sustainable glow in our hotels, with our custom-built Smart Room Control offering a fully digitalised guest journey from pavement to pillow, reducing the need and use of plastic keycards and a greener stay.
At Bloc Hotels, we are devoted to continuous sustainability improvements that protect our planet for generations to come.
Over the next five years, we plan on building our existing successes, bringing us closer to our goals of zero waste and carbon neutrality.
- Eliminate all single-use plastics, both front-of-house and behind-the-scenes, by 2025.
- Continue to expand our green spaces, to help us connect better with nature, and provide a haven for urban wildlife.
- Grow our local partnerships and strengthen our regional impact by incentivising guests to stay and shop local, by offering more amazing local experiences and discounts.
Our green policy.
We recognise that our work may have a direct or indirect negative impact on the environment. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our environmental impact and are committed to reducing any harmful effects, following, and implementing best practices where possible. We encourage our team, suppliers, and guests to be environmentally aware through initiatives such as recycling and being energy efficient.
We reduce the amount of waste generated by reusing and recycling including:
- Recycling plastic from guest rooms and staff areas.
- Recycling wastepaper, cardboard, and packaging.
- Recycling printer cartridges and batteries.
- Operate a near ‘paperless’ operation, where printing is rare and only used when necessary.
- Scrap paper is reused.
- PDQ payment machines are paperless, payment receipts are emailed.
- Reusable thermos bottles are provided to all team members, stopping the use of single plastics.
- Recyclable paper cups and wooden stirrers are provided for our coffee machines.
- All new-starter documents are now completed online and e-signed.
Purchasing and suppliers.
We consider the environmental factors around the production, delivery, and disposal of products:
- Where possible, amenities and food items are sourced from local suppliers.
- Where possible, fair-trade products are purchased.
- Refillable, UK-produced shampoo and body wash are used in all guest bedrooms.
- Linen is delivered in hybrid vehicles, by Green Apple Award & Footprint Award-winning linen service.
- (Gatwick) Our partnered restaurants offer vegan and vegetarian options.
- We offer milk alternatives for all coffee products.
Energy and water saving.
We aim to reduce energy consumption by considering all resources:
- 100% of our guest-bedroom windows are triple-glazed.
- (Gatwick) December 2023 Air Conditioning system replacement installation throughout the hotel, replaced with a new energy efficient system.
- AC units are switched off when rooms are unoccupied.
- An opt-out option for servicing guest rooms is promoted, whereby guests can request to not change towels or sheets, saving energy and reducing water consumption.
- LED energy-saving bulbs are used where possible, reducing our energy output.
- Smart Room Control is available for a fully digitalised guest journey, reducing the use of plastic keycards.